Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Becoming a Teacher


Reading tree with all my wise owls
I know it has been a long time since the last post but things have been very busy in the Phipps' household. Aaron has been studying non-stop for the GRE and I have been teaching. Aaron took the test this last Saturday and did an amazing job, like I knew he would, and has been able to relax. I however, have very little time to relax and am on my fourth week of teaching. It has been an experience like no other. I can't believe how exhausted I am everyday and not just physically but mentally also. I get home and my brain turns off. I swear I hear my bed calling my name every night at around 7:30 but I do my best to stay among the living until 9:00.
I am learning so much and have realized that the four years of education has prepared me for absolutely nothing except to respect all the work the teachers put into have every minute of every class planned. I know they say that teaching is the most rewarding job out there but I am still waiting for just one of my students to have an ah-ha moment. Just something to tell me I am on the right track. I do have fun with my students everyday, especially on the days they tell me I am the best teacher in the whole world. Things like that always help me get through the rest of the day. It has been crazy to go from a student to a teacher in such a short period of time, but in reality I still am a student that is asking for help, advice and just hanging on hoping I can help these kids find joy in learning by the end of the school year. I know I am where I belong I just need to make sure I am doing what is necessary to make the 27 second graders have a greater chance of succeeding in life. People always say that the first few years don't matter but they are really the most crucial. It is when they learn the basics and when they learn how act in society. Not only is this when they learn the basics in all the most important subjects but is when the students are the most impressionable. The teachers I remember the most are the teachers from kindergarten and Second grade. My kindergarten teacher was one of the biggest reasons I wanted to be a teacher. I wanted my students to know what I felt when ever I walked into her room, but I don't know how. I try to make my room a loving and warm environment but how do I know I have accomplished it? How do I show my students how much I care about their education and the individual attention they need? I want my students to feel important in my classroom. They need to know they have a voice and a purpose in this world. I know they are only seven but don't we all have to start defining ourselves somewhere? I may not always like my students but I can tell you I have grown to love all of them. I know it will be a long and hard year but I hope I can make it a rewarding one and not just for me but for the 27 children I am trusted with Monday thru Friday from 8:00 - 3:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment